PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA BASSA Message - TUPE
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2008, 10:31
PC767

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Ok, I don't have BA's proposals about the hourly rate and when it would apply, so I have no reason to argue with your figure, but I am aware that the maximum duty per annum is 2000hrs of which 900hrs are flight time. So working on 2000hrs that still amounts to a variable pay of £5000.

To those concerned that these hours are part time, well I'm afraid they are set by European legislation and apply to all flying crew, (including those 'part time' captains on £100k - your inference not mine!). Prior to the introduction of the work time directive world wide crew averaged 1200hrs flying time, and many would be happy to see the restrictions lifted.

To those concerned about the lack of qualifications needed to apply for cabin crew, well, cannot argue with that. Major airlines including BA have a tough recruitment process and a high refusal rate. I can think of other decently paid jobs were qualifications are not required. No arguing that alot of pilots are graduates but I also know of those who are not. Self improvers, and still capable. I was previously a police office, (hence PC767), no qualifications required. I work alongside former nurses, teachers, managers and other professionally qualified people. They work as cabin crew not because they are unemployable elsewhere but by choice.

Shaka Zulu, your wife, I presume, still has a choice. My friend was a maths teacher for 8 years before she felt the need for a change. What she has lost by becoming cabin crew is social standing (if thats important to one) and the potential to graduate to higher earnings.

This debate is not about a group of workers asking for more, more more. Its about maintaining what we have, what BA contracted to pays us having passed their tough recruitment process. There are bad egg crew online, but thats the case in all jobs and professions. What is unfortunately hard is the removal of these people but laziness isn't a sackable offence. I know that because I'm part way through my second degree, this time an LLB.