PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Super Seasprites – who is responsible?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2008, 02:02
bush pelican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel While You're At It.

Dick,
Why don't you do the same thing for the Collin's Class Submarine project? It was a huge fiasco that wasted billions of dollars also. If it weren't for the scale of the losses it could have just as easily gone the same way as the Kaman. People I know that were involved in the project could barely grasp the magnitude of the ineptitude, waste and incompetence that occurred, and they are about to do it again. God help us.

Then there is the present spending of the Brisbane City Council and State Government who are throwing billions of dollars into tunnels and huge inner city road networks when a blind newt can see that this is a recipe for urban and environmental disaster, not to mention the huge waste of public money. One day soon it will become a bike track. It may be significant that one of the key drivers for these projects is ex military.

It is in every level of government and bureaucracy. Take a look at this comment from the Cessna Pilots Association, that is relevant to CASA. and effects us personally as aviators.

Cessna 340 Wing Spar

Tech Support,

Please give me the details on the recent service bulletin concerning the wing center section (I think it is also called the stub wing). I understand that CPA is talking to the FAA about this as you did with the previous exhaust AD. I think it is based on airframe time in service. My aircraft now has 3250 hours on it. I bought it new.

Thanks for your help.

Bill L.

Bill,

I am unaware that CPA is talking to the FAA about this, because since it's only a service bulletin, there's no need to comply with it. Generally, CPA only gets involved if the FAA issues an NPRM (notice of proposed rulemaking for a proposed AD) or an ACS (Airworthiness Concern Sheet stating that the FAA is considering an NPRM).

I believe that the SB you're talking about is part of the Cessna SID (Special Inspection Document) program. The SID inspections are punitively expensive, and almost nobody is doing them except for poor folks in Australia and other countries where compliance is required by the national CAA, and operators of 400-series aircraft affected by the spar-strap AD. Fortunately, the FAA is not requiring compliance for 300-series aircraft, even for most Part 135 operators and certainly not for Part 91 operators.

FYI, there's absolutely no safety concern here in my opinion. There has never been any kind of spar or attach fitting problem in any 300-series Cessna. The only aircraft that have exhibited problems are very high-time Cessna 402s that were operated in commercial service with very heavy passenger loads and very light fuel loads (thereby putting extreme loads on the lower spar caps). I've seen no indication that the FAA is contemplating any regulatory action on 300-series Cessnas. I can't guarantee that they won't change their mind about this someday, but I'm pretty sure that if the FAA were contemplating something, we'd know about it.

My recommendation would be not to worry about this unless and until the FAA forces you to. If you want to worry about something, worry about your exhaust system, not your wing spar.

Mike Busch, CPA Tech Rep.

Lets face it Dick, We can't change the situation. Its part of democracy and still infinitely better than any other political system.

The best thing I have heard you say recently is that you will do all you can to legally minimize the tax you pay. You could then use some of what you save to make the world a better place at an individual level (which I know you do). and bring some of these bureaucrats and politicians to account through the courts and public exposure.

I hope someone takes up your challenge.

BP