PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF ATC Staffing Levels
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2008, 01:06
C-change

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know the Syd spot is for TWR but are those other numbers for TMA/TWR or enroute?
Only a rumour but I did hear on the grape vine there was a suggestion of running a short en-route course for 16 in Sep. Timings look about right considering Blue suites must give 90 days notice.

Track Coastal,
Having said that shouldn't virgindriver, RENURPPand Capt Grumpy expect a quality service?
You bet, couldn't agree more but the service will not improve when people have a shot at the indiviuals trying their best. Take it up with management or go higher.

For the aviators;
Where I work, we have lost three staff in the last year, that haven't been replaced. Their combined global ATC experience was 68yrs. We now run limited hrs and we hate going CTAF when our customers are still flying but if we go overtime and there is an incident or worse, guess where we go.

I think some of the aviators out there need to understand the average time in the seat for RAAF staff these days is approx 3-4 years, some bases are less.

If it was an airline it would run something like this.

Pilot gains PPL on PA28's and does commerical in nine months.
Next six months spent on SF34's and clock up 100-200hrs IF.
Then jump into the left set, check out as CAPT and start teaching next lot of FO's.
3-4 yrs later RPT guys are offering the big bucks to jump ship as their own RPT staff are headed OS to earn even bigger bucks.

Problem is back at the SF34 stage were inexperience is teaching the new staff and it goes on and on and we end up in the postion where in now.

If the aviators want things to improve, then get on our side and put pressure on the Pollies, management of ASA and Defence. They will only change if the are forced to.
There is nothing to stop us from having a national ATC system. Only then will it stop the drain and allow some experience to stay in one place for a while. It will eventually lead to a better service.

PS, someone asked why DN and TVL stay Military. Its where the war will be fought from if it ever happens. If DN falls to the bad guys, you pull back to Tindal. Next time you land at TVL and roll to the end of RWY 01, have a look at the massive OLA complex off to the left. Defence won't ever let them go.