PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 5
Thread: MANCHESTER - 5
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2008, 18:15
321go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having read with interest the recent "pontifications" of Roverman who does his best to justify the trials and tribulations at Manchester.The facts are quite simple...The Airport Management got it wrong some time ago when they believed they were the best and had no need to go chasing low cost carriers. Complacency was, and still is rife, by a Mangement team who I am told are now made up of ex Supermarket assistants and Railway workers?Sadly, having read an article by a Senior Manager at Manchester they still think they are the best .Think again....several years ago the Manchester Evening News reported from that infamous Airport Spokesperson that Liverpool was doomed and Manchester was set to become the Hub for British Airways and Lufthansa.The rest as they say is History.Manchester has turned into a classic case of "how not to run an Airport".As a frequent Business traveller I am dismayed at the appearance of the Airport when I get off my plane into the mounds of litter (airside and lanside),walk up and down stairs due to lifts and escalators not working.Make pleasant equiries to staff who then tell you its always like that and they too blame the Management. The carpet is stuck together with tape and hand written notices are stuck on walls with the same tape used to keep the carpet together.Perhaps Roverman should get his head out of the clouds and take a look outside of Manchester.As others say there are indeed success stories right here on our doorstep in NW and NE England.You dont have to go too far outside of the UK to see how LCC have benifited regional Airports in France,Germany and of course Poland.Each of which have modern and efficient Terminal buildings.They also have pleasant staff who are proud to work there...and guess what not a roll of Black Tape in sight! Manchester was indeed a great Airport.The past 3 years has sadly seen it decline beyond all previous recognition. I recently spoke to a Senior Airline Manager at the Airport who told me that he also was ashamed at the airports decline stating that most of the "good managers had left leaving the rest well behind"...