PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF ATC Staffing Levels
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2008, 13:40
RAAFASA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well written, Whisk (who would never blow his own trumpet but is an extremely gifted, as well as hard working, controller).

Should pilots expect a quality service? Absolutely. And if there were more communication between pilots and ATC about any issues that arise (rather than pointless, vague whinging) then no doubt the service would continually evolve.

ATC is not a job where you unplug one day and say "well, that's it, I'm now perfect". There is always room for improvement, always another way to "skin the cat" and most of us drive home replaying sequences and wondering what we could have done differently to achieve a better outcome all round.

Not all RAAFies stay blue because they want to end up driving a desk. Some of us are happy to stay line controllers because we like talking to aircraft! And having tried the grass on the other side of the fence - some of us prefer the RAAF as an employer (hard to believe, I know). For me ASA has only 2 advantages over the RAAF - location stability and the fact that they pay you for the $hit they make you do - O/T, prof development, shiftwork etc (a Darwin ATCO working 24/7 gets paid the same as a Sale ATCO working basically office hours - and they even took ERL of us for a while in the mid-naughties!).

There comes a time when those 2 advantages (particularly the location stability) become increasingly important (kids at school, parents ageing, sick of unpacking boxes etc) to most RAAFies and so when ASA dangle a nice carrot (like the current offers) there is a huge rush to jump ship.

Why do we persist with RAAF control at Darwin and Townsville - 1stly because ASA don't want them - not enough profit apparently. 2ndly because they are fantastic training grounds (even if we do lose 2 out of every 3 controllers eventually to ASA) and are part of the reason Aussie military ATCOs are held in such high regard overseas.

Project Genesis would have greatly improved both the service provided and RAAF retention by addressing the location aspect - I'd be happy to do Darwin APP from Brissie till retirement - as would most of our workforce - Brisbane being the most desired location (closely followed by Willy apparently).

As to the current ASA-RAAF poaching. I've heard the same figures (17 that I know by name). Don't know how many have accepted, but the offer was good enough to make me visit the ASA application page myself (never say never....) so I imagine most, if not all, will take it (be mad not to really).

The Willy execs are not part of the ASA recruitment from what I've heard (although I believe the acting OC is taking up an ASA job - not line controlling).

44WG HQ have not yet reacted - I guess they're waiting for actual resignations to hit their desks before assessing the damage. Bit disappointing really as it would be nice to know what the plan is? They know that we know and all that - rumour mill being what it is - so why not put something out there to reassure those of us who are staying behind to switch off the lights? (Everyone click your heels together and wish "Genesis, Genesis, Genesis").

Maybe this will be the catalyst for moving to a single ATS provider model (although we though that in 94 as well.....)