PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF ATC Staffing Levels
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2008, 07:29
whisk01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gents (and Lady),

Let's have a reality check here.

1) The minimum IQ set for entry to RAAF ATC is well above average, meaning that you aren't dealing with dunces, as much as it may come across that way from where you sit. Inexperienced, yes. Dumb, absolutely not. Two of the three most intelligent and calculating individuals I know work in DN (the other is a professor of Astronomy). One or two individuals make me roll my eyes occasionally, but that's life. The fact that so many are poached to work in Civil airports should dispel this myth.

2) DN ATC in the '90's had 72,000-101,000 moves/year (depending on year), in the same zone as it currently has. DNs average MTOW had also risen significantly since then (remember Air North used to fly C210s?), I can't back this part up with stats however. The IFR proportion would likely also have been significantly lower. Any thought that you and your peers were somehow more gifted than the current crop is absolute ****e. Get over yourself. "The older I get, the better I was" springs to mind.

3) RENURPP, I know who you are and I'm quite good with voices. I won't embarrass you by publishing your stuffups over the years - but there's been plently of them. As a start, you have been on board during two level busts in the last few months (hint: think hard about your level assignment at ~28nm as this was the same spot, same level each time). Contrary to your belief, you are not God's gift to Aviation and whilst your attempts to fly 'by the numbers' is admirable, the reality is that your Company peers are generally of a higher standard than yourself. I don't generally discuss this publicly because I think it's offensive to badmouth without being constructive. Obviously you don't share this view.

To reiterate others thoughts, if you have constructive advice, phone the SATCO and ask to possibly review a specific incident with him. All (bar a very few) of the RAAF ATCs I know give it their all every day to ensure you get their best possible service.

A bit of mutual respect would go a long way in this debate. I don't normally post on here, but the disrespect by some of you is intolerable. I won't respond further and I suggest some of you do the same, for the sake of the (original) discussion.