PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF ATC Staffing Levels
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2008, 19:22
BurglarsDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As ex TVL I believe this was a major issue years ago.
Townsville Traffic Management Plan anyone ?
Various RAPAC meetings discussed the problem, but no one took ownership of the responsibility to produce one. Of course with the Mil there were always distractions, and over the years the odd war and war game detachment (primary task?) have often got in the way of creating an effective TMP or allowing any effective follow up to any proposed changes that could have made TVL more effective at what it does. And, leadership and direction were often absent as certain well qualified or higher ranking individuals ( the experienced Sups and Training officers for example) were often spirited away at short notice with no real consideration for the impact on training or the provision of ATC services to Jo Public; at what is advertised as an International Airport.
And in the absence of any proactive flow / sequencing from Brissy, often the only way for the App controller to "cope" when busy, was to rely on the supervisor standing behind him / her directing operations:
"This is The sequence ...this is my Plan ... make it so number 1!"
Often the only way the Sup could do this with any degree of safety and expedition, was to rely on the application of the unwritten rules called "corporate knowledge", and the experience and lessons learned from the successes / misjudgements made over previous years on the customer (hence the complaints within this post). When he moved on, this knowledge and skill set also moved on, thereby distilling further the all round effectiveness of those left behind; as is the case now I understand.
These are not new comments but I understand that with ASA now "gloves off" regarding the hiring of controllers, and staff much higher up the food chain, (acting OC 44 WG for example - good luck M by the way!) this staffing problem within the Mil may have some real Operational, and, dare I say it, potential flight safety issues down the track.
Where to from here anyone?
Should ASA take over all Mil Bases ? After all, and almost uniquely worldwide - same rules, regs, docs and staff in waiting!

Good luck to all involved (though Luck shouldnt come into it)

DogGone:

Last edited by BurglarsDog; 23rd Jun 2008 at 19:27. Reason: spelling