PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF ATC Staffing Levels
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2008, 11:04
RAAFASA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panic at a two way tie on handoff OH NOOOOOOO.

Thank you for your sensationalism - perhaps a journo in previous life?

There is no panic. Even when the 2 way tie is only one sequencing issue out of many (17 acft on freq, including 2x4 ships of F18s - counted as 2, not 8 of the 17 - mixing it with everything from commercial jets to C172s, arrivals, departures and instrument approach training etc). It doesn't make my life any more uncomfortable - just the acft and its pax that have to be significantly vectored, held, reduced etc.

And as far as using small degrees of speed control in such a small airspace - exactly how many track miles do you reckon it takes for a jet to slow from 400+ knots to 270? Even throwing the anchors out, remember your still looking at only 40nm to the threshold - the confliction will occur svereal miles before that and there are other acft to consider as well!) By the time they've reached the 270 they've travelled far enough to cause another confliction.

Things have changed since you deserted the SS RAAFtanic, we no longer rate people with the provision of supervision (normal, normal). Now, when someone is rated it means "here you go, chum, we're short staffed today so you'll be doing supertower with another boggie SMC/PLN". Obviously our roster writers try incredibly hard to avoid this scenario, but it's hard to make a patchwork quilt with half the materials .... and it's gonna get harder real soon!

But the point initally was that this perception that RAAFies deliberately faff civvy acft around or are all basically incompetent is crap. Sure, there are some who believe that we are only allotted a certain number of heartbeats in our lifetime and so are reluctant to work that little bit harder - but you'll find those in any company, occupation or local pub.

The majority are professional, hard working (we don't get paid for our overtime) and trying to provide the best service we can with the tools available (ADATS is crap, bring back IRDS). I've worked for the dark side, too, and I don't think ASA is any better run - I wish you guys all the best for better pay and conditions.

To simply say that TL ATC sucks is neither accurate nor productive. Contact the SATCO, phone, email, write or even visit the controllers to air your concerns, contact your local MP if it suits you better - but provide specifics - date, time, scenario (from your vantage point). If the tapes were pulled you may well see there was a lot of other stuff going on that you were unaware of. Or you may find that you are justified in having your knickers in a knot. Either way, you raise awareness of the issue (yours and/or theirs).