PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First job in Africa concerns
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2008, 10:21
Rawrawhammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First job in Africa concerns

Hi all

Im just nearing the end of my CPL training in Oz and would love to go over to Africa for a year or so just for the great expirience but the only problem is that I don't know much about aviation down there apart from hearing about the bad safety record.Everyone I ask seems to have a bad conception about flying in Africa especially as a first job.Challenging flying, dodgy operators, bad storms, dodgy maintenance etc..
so I don't know what to think, it's confusing.

comments from a recent thread like-

"I'm not trying to be a *ick, but your request is very unreasonable and you dont know the landscape thats over there. You run out of fuel, have an engine failure on a single engine or get caught in a storm, and the storms there are huge, and u dont have the experience... you dead. If you land in the wrong area and locals dont like u they will start stripping ur plane of parts and leaving, and thats if ur lucky...."

-dont make it any easier then in a recent thread someone mentioned that they lost a friend down there too so it's a bit scary but there is also positive comments from reading through the thread.

So basically is it really as dangerous as it sounds?the flying aswell as the people etc?how is it for a first job?bare CPL ok?and finally would you recommend it or am I better of staying down here spotting a kangoroo from time to time if im lucky?
also which places are best/safest for first job and ofcoarse where is the best scenery etc ?

thanks alot