PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Met Office Weather Forecast? Hmmmmmmm....
Old 22nd Jun 2008, 18:26
Captain Smithy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a light-single not equipped with any anti-icing equipment, and as a non-instrument-rated pilot (as yet), then yes, I would've been caught out.

There again I had been watching the Wx Radar all day and observed the large band of rain moving our way... even though the TAF suggested otherwise, which explained my (and others') disbelief at the TAF.

I still question why the initial TAF's TEMPO 1516 8000 -RA BKN012 was then bemusingly dropped altogether, before mysteriously reappearing later on as BECMG 1921 8000 -RA BKN014 TEMPO 2122 4000 RA BKN007 - fairly accurate, must give credit where it's due - but why was the rain/low-cloud/poor vis forecast on the TAF dropped in the first place? Hmm.

Also, I fail to see how Military weather terminology - Blue, White, Magenta, Mauve, Gold-with-sparkly-bits or whatever else - has to do with a civilian pilot flying at a civil aerodrome in whatever weather conditions - i.e. me. I also fail to see the relevance of this comment - "Unless your aircraft is made of icing sugar that dissolves in light rain, would you really have been "caught out"?". I assume these throwaway remarks were a crude attempt at smart-arsery, in order to make me feel small and uninformed in order for you to claim some sort of high-ground? Well congratulations you've succeeded there.

I was always taught to avoid precipitation where possible when flying in a light aircraft - icing, gusts etc. But there again not being a weather guru what do I know, eh. What place do I have to question the great weather gurus.

Anyway, that's all, like I said previously I do not want to argue with anyone, I am only here to share my experiences.

bose-x if you could keep us informed on your dialogue with the Met Office and, when it comes, the outcome of the next meeting that would be great.

Smithy.