PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A-A Refulling + AEW;
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2008, 15:05
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Certainly, Mr.Elmo.

I was thinking that as the 'wish list' is the F-35 ( whatever type ) and an AEW / COD type a/c , ranging from probably Merlin to some hope Osprey...

The F-35 has major engine & other issues, let alone price.

The Osprey still is regarded a bit dodgy in some quarters, + hideous price tag.

The Merlin ( a poitcallly named aircraft wihn absoutey NO relation to the enengine which arguably saved me from typing in Gernan noow

When is it REALLY likely we'll ever get all the shiny new kit, in working order, on CVF ?

It strikes me that as an interim - and we know how long 'interims' last - the S3 is a versatile aircraft, higher performance, and could buddy re-fuel Harrier 2+'s ( not Seajets as I erroneously first said ). Obviously AEW kit may need to be nailed on ( a 5 minute job surely ! ) but a handy plane apart from the inability to vertically insert people in odd places - intentionally anyway.

I realise the S3 might rather like a trendy catapult & whatever & similar arrestor, and that IS expensive, but we're told the ability to fit is designed into CVF, and anyway it would be handy cross decking with other navies...

I think the case for Harrier 2+ ( right now ) a lot stronger than that for S3, but as I say, just a thought.

Out of e-mail land for a while, so while I no doubt get the P taken, silence doesn't mean a white flag !

Last edited by Double Zero; 24th Jun 2008 at 12:00.