PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JMC excellent pay and conditions
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2001, 19:08
Underdog

Cool

I'm still trying to figure out whether this is a wind-up or not. It's sounds like a cross between a general manager-type complaint about the workforce and a recruitment ad'!

I don't know anything about the working conditions within JMC, so feel free to prove me wrong - I won't be offended.

But - isn't JMC a charter operator with all the trappings of working for a charter company? i.e. Less stable rosters, frequent delays (slot restrictions etc.), frequent night flying, 2 crew ETOPS etc.

Again I don't know what the basics are for FO or Captain with JMC, or what the pension is - final salary, or less-attractive money purchase? I would suggest that any FO working a reasonably heavy jet should be worth a package of around 70k and a skipper around 100k. Does JMC offer this?

It may compare with other charter outfits - but that's only because all these companies have been getting cheap labour for the last few years. If people feel they are undervalued then of course they will whinge - people don't whinge just for the sake of it - if people are complaining they must feel they have a genuine grievance, however uncharitable you may think it.

People can see when they are being (ab)used by the companies they work for - however it is quite rare to be in a position to do something about it. That time has come though for the general pilot workforce. Traditionally just about every airline in the UK compares itself to the package BA offers. In recent years many airlines have comfortably exceeded BA renumeration wise. Assuming successful negotiations this year (with or without industrial action) the situation will change again. All airlines will once more have to offer a better package to retain their workforce or people will do as you have suggested, and walk. BA will once again become the employer of choice (Although some say that pigs may fly!)

Whilst you - as a manager - may dread the impending pay deals at other (major) carriers and the subsequent (incessant?) demands from your workforce. The fact remains that pilots within the UK have consistently earned less than their near neighbours for many years now. If you are a pilot yourself then you are selling both you and your colleagues short unless they are earning the amounts I quoted above.

IMHO.

Underdog