PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: QANTAS/ALAEA EBA
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2008, 09:14
The Colonel Lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consideration

I would assume that if qantas is run predominately on O/T, the current bans in place would put a significant financial burden on most engineers. That being the case then probably the 5% increase that is being disputed is dwindling down each day for all, until eventually the dispute will become just about saving face (for both ALAEA and QF). As an alternative. Qf could always apply and change procedures to align with JS and VB which probably would reduce the need for a % of engineers for Line Maintenance as argument for an equal level playing field on competition (including MSG3 requirements for new A/C types). Unfortunately like most workplaces, there tends to be 30% of the workforce that do most of the work for the other 70%. That 30% of LAMEs I feel are taking the brunt from a legacy pay (Level) system voted in by the membership 10 years ago by a selfish few who were either close to retiring or carried numerous licence types. These engineers have now seen their time out or remain on high pay scales with no real avenue for the younger generation coming through to take advantage of the higher levels. It might be time to sell the benefits and receive significant pay rises and align with the other Airlines current work procedures including an agreed % percentage of contracted workforce. I know that there are definetly hard working guys in minorities who pretty much carry the airline on a daily basis that deserve large pay increases (up to 20%), but it was the ALAEAs own membership (previous) that set the grounds for your current dispute (ie re - pay scale system) with QF taking a very agressive (and perceived immoral) advantage of your situation leaving the current membership with little avenue to negotiate a fair pay deal for the deserving few. As for alternative workforces, you are right to assume that there is little substance to replace what would be required to run the ops daily, but in some instances I would not under estimate how inefficient some areas of QF Engineering are. From my knowledge there used to be QF LAMEs (a minority)that used to work in KL on holidays and time off which wasn't well received by the locals and expats and maybe some of those guys might repay the favour, unfortunately. Both the ALAEA and QF are looking for an exit strategy and the membership suffer financially daily as a consequence. The stakes are high for both sides with QF risk of having to payout the onflow of pay rises for all unions in a declining market and the ALAEA potentially risking a large membership loss if there is a back down.