PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - We can do FI, Afghanistan and Iraq - 11sqn
Old 16th Jun 2008, 18:52
orca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can i propose a 'middle way' in this very polarised fight?

It seems that we have one bunch who think the airframe's ace (which it is), relevant (which it might be) and cheap (hmmm), and might well cure third world debt. They are opposed by a bunch who think it's rubbish, (not sure that'll stick), irrelevant (which may - or may not - be true at this precise second but cannot be garaunteed forever), expensive (tricky) and caused cancer.

One side is bouyed by announcements such as the recent one, the other somewhat irked by it, on the grounds that the system has yet to deploy at a time when all the rest of us are deploying.

Therefore i suggest the following:

1. We all accept that Typhoon was bought with all the best intentions, it's a great aircraft and cancelling or reducing the order wouldn't save a bean.
2. The aircraft has been extensively modified and should soon be able to employ A-S weaponry in theatre.
3.The aircraft has yet to do so.
4. Like all communities - those that fly and maintain the beast are a mixture of great lads, good lads, average lads and the odd oxygen thief. (lads = generic for boys and girls)

This will placate all those that think it's wonderful, and all those that would sooner point out that it hasn't yet done the job for which we are repeatedly told it's fit for purpose.

This can all change when it does actually deploy, does the job and everyone starts slagging off a new platform. In the meantime i suggest a moratorium on the somewhat naive 'It's rubbish' cries and the equally naive, and a little bit grating 'It's great and can do x, y and z headlines'

That being said, not slagging it off/ defending it will get a little boring.