PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Met Office Weather Forecast? Hmmmmmmm....
Old 16th Jun 2008, 11:17
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bern,

Thank you for that link. In the Univ of Cologne you have discovered a second (the first was the University of Wyoming) source for actual baloon ascents. This goes straight into my collection of really useful weather sites

A Tephigram, also known (in a similar form) as a skew-t, is simply a diagram showing how the temperature and dew point vary with altitude.

The most obvious use is to establish cloud bottoms and, for IFR pilots, cloud tops. I will email/PM you some info on this.

The above URLs give actual data but it tends to happen only at 0000Z and 1200Z which while often very useful is often too old. One is after forecast tephigrams.

This is not "raw data" as such - it is data generated from the computer models. Forecasters use tephigrams to work out all kinds of stuff which the plebs get in the form of TAFs, SigWx, and the BBC TV weather forecast...

However I cannot find forecast UKMO tephigrams data on your site. The only forecast tephigrams I know of are found on various sites which serve the U.S. GFS weather model e.g. NOAA.