PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - We can do FI, Afghanistan and Iraq - 11sqn
Old 16th Jun 2008, 07:14
The Helpful Stacker

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Sure, there is a million to one chance we that Ivan or Carlos may attack next year but there is a certainty that Terry will be attacking tomorrow
Gosh I'm glad you don't have any influence over defence procurement.

As has already been said (by myself as well as others) the money for the Typhoons was already spent before Iraq/Afghanistan kicked off. There has never been the option of binning Typhoons in order to spend the money on SH or AT assets because had the Typhoons been binned the penalty clauses would have cost almost as much as taking delivery of the aircraft/

Instead of blaming the purchase of Typhoon on all the woes of the Armed Forces adjust your sights and point your wrath at those who are actually responsible, the government. The Armed Forces of this country were committed to operating in two different theatres at a level well above those decided and budgeted to after the last round of defence assumptions made by, you've guessed it, the current government.

As someone who spent the majority of his career working with SH I too would like to see more money spent on SH and AT assets but I'm not so stupid as to think that cancelling the purchase of some Typhoons would somehow magically give the Armed Forces a big pot of money to spend. I'm also not so short-sighted not to realise that a replacement is needed for the Jaguar (RIP), some elements of the Tornado GR4 fleet and also the Tornado F3 fleet and a project to replace such aircraft is invariably going to be long and more importantly, expensive.

Instead of posters like yourself constantly having a pop at the nasty old RAF and their new aircraft why don't you do some research, work out who the real culprit is in the saga of poor funding for the Armed Forces and start firing in their direction, or is that too simplistic?