PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Standard Spin Recovery
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2008, 01:49
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
CRM - the list I found was the New Zealand CAA's list of Chipmunk TNSs. 142 refers to the rear bulkhead. I see that your list (Is that the UK CAA list?) refers to spinning, but I couldn't find a link to the text. Do you have one?

Tigerbatics - I can't agree with you. I accept there is a sequence of events which are carried out to recover a spin, but their application is different enough to render the notion of a standard recovery for all types misleading. I have instructed spinning in C152 and the Chipmunk. Their recoveries are different. I have also instructed spinning in several other types and spun many more - and again, there were differences.

The danger of entereing a full spin unintentionally is minimal. Those entereing a full spin intentionally need to be familiar with that type's recovery technique. Use of the wrong technique can lead to a delayed recovery - or some other problem. Use of the Chipmunk technique in the Bulldog will not lead to an effieicent recovery.

If you want to teach a recovery technique which will work in an emergency for most types such as Australia's CASA mentions in it's free to download instructor manual http://www.casa.gov.au/aoc/training/guides/fim.htm then do so but referring to it as standard may lead to a pilot thinking it's OK to use if he goes spinning intentionally.