PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - what is the world coming too.... spinning
Old 15th Jun 2008, 22:35
Jetscream 32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mmmm mike & shaun....... principles of flight are the same no matter if in a 737 or PA 28 - Mike.... i learnt to fly at L-O-S in 82 and still fly now and am fully conversant with heavy as well as light...... spinning is a very valuable and very safe exercise if currency is maintained... the point i am making is that the instrument scan and visual cues to fly with glass cockpit is completely different to that of older mechanical instruments...in that now we expect a message or alert to be displayed accompanied by a gong or other audible cue depending on the nature of the failure... this has allowed a lot of crews to become so engrossed in CAS display messages that they forget to fly the aircraft or forget the elementary basics of flight and destroy the aircraft and lives because they relied completely on the PFD display instead of true piloting skills and basic aerodynamics.. the evidence is well published... and you will both read the same information as i do on the subject...

Shaun, i am stunned you say that you need glass aircraft to fly in the TMA how come we still fly the 742 as a mechanical aircraft with 1/10 th of the glass you have yet manage to keep up with you without bumping into you...??

A txpdr, radar and now the luxury of TCAS has made it safer but you make it sound like if we dont have the glass we are unsafe and gonna die..... pah..!