PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Met Office Weather Forecast? Hmmmmmmm....
Old 15th Jun 2008, 22:35
robin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All forecasts were pretty accurate but the Met Office was the most pessimistic in both directions from the point of view of having fully fledged fronts/troughs when other sites didn't even show a front.
My very point - and operating within 2 nm of the Met Office it galls me to see that they have so little understanding of the area we operate in.

Looking back over my records of the past winter, a less confident pilot than myself would have lost out on a signifiacnet number of days flying if they had based their decisions on the Met Office forecast

My main concern is that the timings of ' weather events' is woeful and can be up to 12 hours out. In May I was at the airfield waiting for the forecast event (plagues of locusts, cats and dogs etc etc) to go through, but it never arrived and contrary to the forecast - died away before getting anywhere near to our site.

I had a great day, because of my cynicism, but the club had 9 cancellations based on the morning TAF, Airmet, 215 etc etc

Yes, as we gain experience we can start to look at the weather with a semi-professional eye, but early solo or newly-qualified pilots are more susceptible to being put off by pessimistic forecasts. These are where clubs make money, but are being hampered by poor forecasting