PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beached Dolphins
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2008, 13:00
nunquamparatus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Clicking' up the wrong tree (estuary)

Ask someone who knows (fish-head) - what happens when you turn on the sonar in a warship. The usual answer is that every dolphin within a 4 million mile (slight exaggeration) radius comes swimming over to have a listen to your 2050. Thats right, swim towards, not run away in a mad panic. They seem to love the sound of it, or are at least very curious. So unless there was a Type 23 stuck halfway up the Fal estuary (with navigators anythings possible) or a Merlin in the dip (ie, airborne) halfway up the river, the theory of sonar being responsible seems to me to be a load of old cod. But what would I know, I'm not a sensationalist journalist or a tree-hugging member of save the cetations, just a filthy warfare officer. Dolphins and whales have been beaching themselves as long as people can remember - indeed many species of dolphin and camera flirty orca intentionally swim into very shallow water in order to catch fish or pinipeds (technical term for Seal). Guess they didn't have a copy of the tide tables.............

Anyone notice a surge of 'Fresh Tuna' on the menu in Falmouth?