PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Very Low Fuel Landing
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2008, 10:07
Stan Woolley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is how your last post appears to me BOAC? Just because you consider that to be an excellent summary it is indeed the word of God and we can now move on knowing that the 'experts' have spoken.

As I said previously fuel is an emotive issue and ten pilots will probably have a hundred opinions on the subject. In my experience the majority of pilots do not feel comfortable arriving anywhere with the bare bones of Diversion plus Final Reserve,maybe all or none of the contingency, it is a minority that feel comfortable doing so at least in the jet companies I have worked at. That is on the basis also that I was a first officer for around nine years so I'm generally talking about the Captains ideas rather than mine. Talking to the F/O's I fly with and have flown with it appears that not much has changed in this regard.

You for example flew Harriers so will certainly have experience of flying around on minutes if fuel, which I do not and until they stick in an ejection seat have no intentions of going there. The point being that we all have different comfort levels.

Remember also that different companies may have very different approaches to this issue. They may have a very well developed Nav department that has huge piles of statistical data that adjusts navlogs to account for different situations - frequently they do not! I have found that one plog may leave you comfortable and the very next one could leave you literally short of legal fuel?

Different airports too have different approaches so one time you get straight in and you land with say 3.4t (737), same trip the next day you go all the way round the arrival at 5000ft.....'make your speed 180 kts'....'number five' etc and you land with 2.2t? Other airports are far more predictable so easier to plan for.

Amazing as it may sound I am aware of fuel prices and the requirement to be efficient, I quite frequently take plog fuel when I think it sensible. I'll bet there is some area in your operation where you have a particular view and maybe it doesn't quite gel with what 'they' say you should be doing but from personal experience you don't quite believe them and you quietly do what you believe to be right?

When I run short of fuel I would prefer people to say ' Sh1t it really wasn't his day!' rather than 'Why didn't he stick on more fuel?'