PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collective Colour Vision Thread 3
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2008, 09:03
Neo_RS14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blinkz: I would of thought the standard JAR lanterns only (Beynes, HW, Spectrolux). But, I imagine these regulations are drafted to include the results from CAD testing, and probably the anomaloscope too.

A big thanks to 2close and Telboy for their input on this, I'd be inclined to agree with you both in that if there ever was a time to be prepared to stand up and have your say, now would be it. I would also agree that this could be a human rights issue, at times like this, we cannot forget how things are elsewhere in the world for people with our dreaded infliction...because after drawing that comparison, we really begin to realise how (ahem) 'messed up' things are for us

‘Colour safe’ means the ability of an applicant to readily distinguish the colours used in air navigation and correctly identify aviation coloured lights

Hmmm, well I guess the FAA must have thought something similar to this when they devised the very fair, practical and succesful system of Tower Signal Light testing...afterall, what actual air navigation or aviation coloured lights are we tested on in JAA colour perception tests? Surely that is the ONLY way to assess whether a candidate is fit/unfit, to see whether he can succesfully identify actual aviation lights, rather than via largely academic tests. Sure, use the tests for screening and assessment, fair enough....but to put the final stamp (colour unsafe) on an individual based SOLELY on these tests, without giving the person an opportunity to decipher real aviation signals, especially when this takes place everyday elsewhere in the world, seems grossly unfair to me. In fact I'd say it even goes beyond being merely unfair now, and that it actually constitutes discrimination.

I mean what is it about the air over the US and Australia that differs from our Euro air, where in theirs CVDs are able to fly professionally quite safely, and without any accidents solely casued by CVD, yet in Europe, the air is different and it's not safe for us to do so....I've never been able to work this one out.

The fun continues