PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collective Colour Vision Thread 3
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2008, 21:56
2close

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi troops,

I've extracted all of the relevant sections of the NPA below.

I leave it to you to interpret those sections as you wish but I think I would agree with Telboy - the end of deviations for Class 1 medicals is now upon us.

2close

NOTICE OF PROPOSED AMENDMENT 2008-17

C. DRAFT OPINION AND DECISION PART MEDICAL

I Draft Opinion Part Medical

Annex II to the Implementing Regulation

PART MEDICAL

SUBPART A - GENERAL REQUIREMENTS

Section 1 - General

MED.A.010 Definitions

For the purposes of this Part, the following definitions apply:

‘Colour safe’ means the ability of an applicant to readily distinguish the colours used in air navigation and correctly identify aviation coloured lights.

MED.A.020 Medical certification

(c) Applicants for and holders of a private pilot licence (PPL) shall hold a valid class 2 medical certificate.

(e) If a night flying qualification is added to a PPL or LPL, the pilot shall be colour safe.

(f) Applicants for and holders of a commercial pilot licence (CPL), a multicrew pilot licence (MPL), or an airline transport pilot licence (ATPL) shall hold a valid class 1 medical certificate.

(h) A pilot shall not hold more than one valid medical certificate at any time.

MED.A.045 Limitations to medical certificates

(a) Limitations to class 1 and class 2 medical certificates

(1) When, in accordance with the aeromedical examinations and assessments, the applicant does not fully comply with the requirements for the relevant class of medical certificate but is considered to be not likely to jeopardise flight safety the AeMC or AME shall:

(i) in the case of applicants for a class 1 medical certificate refer the decision on fitness of the applicant to the licensing authority as indicated in Subpart B, except those requiring a limitation related only to the use of corrective lenses;

(ii) in the case of applicants for a class 2 medical certificate, evaluate whether the applicant is able to perform their duties safely when complying with one or more limitations endorsed on the medical certificate, and issue the medical certificate with limitation(s) as necessary.

(2) When assessing whether a limitation is necessary, particular consideration shall be given to:

(i) whether accredited medical opinion indicates that in special circumstances the applicant’s failure to meet any requirement, whether numerical or otherwise, is such that exercise of the privileges of the licence applied for is not likely to jeopardise flight safety;

(ii) the applicant’s ability, skill and experience relevant to the operation to be performed.

(c) Limitation codes

(1) Operational multipilot limitation (OML)

(2) Operational Safety Pilot Limitation (OSL).

(3) Other limitations may consist of:

(vi) a restriction to operate only without passengers (OPL) in the case of PPL or LPL;

(viii) a restriction to operate during day only (VCL); or

(4) Any other limitation may be imposed on the holder of a medical certificate if required to ensure flight safety.

(d) Any limitation imposed on the holder of a medical certificate shall be specified therein.

Subpart B - REQUIREMENTS FOR MEDICAL CERTIFICATES

Section 1 - General

MED.B.070 Colour vision

(a) Applicants shall be required to demonstrate the ability to perceive readily the colours that are necessary for the safe performance of duties.

(b) Examination

(1) Applicants shall pass the Ishihara test for the initial issue of a medical certificate.

(2) Applicants who fail to obtain a satisfactory result in the Ishihara test shall undergo further colour perception testing to establish whether they are colour safe.

(c) In the case of class 1 medical certificates, applicants shall have normal perception of colours or be colour safe. Applicants who fail further colour perception testing shall be assessed as unfit.

(d) In the case of class 2 medical certificates, when the applicant does not have satisfactory perception of colours, their flying privileges shall be limited to daytime only.

II Draft Decision AMC and GM for PartMedical

AMC / GM to PARTMEDICAL

SUBPART A - GENERAL REQUIREMENTS

Section 1 - General

AMC to MED.A.045

Limitations to class 1, class 2 and LPL medical certificates

(a) An AeMC or AME may refer the decision on fitness of the applicant to the licensing authority in borderline cases or where fitness is in doubt.

(b) In cases where a fit assessment can only be considered with a limitation, the AeMC, AME or the licensing authority should evaluate the medical condition of the applicant in consultation with flight operations and other experts if necessary.

Subpart B - REQUIREMENTS FOR MEDICAL CERTIFICATES

Section 1 - Specific requirements for class 1 and class 2 medical certificates

Chapter A - AMC for Class 1 medical certificates

AMC A to MED B.070

COLOUR VISION class 1 medical certificates

1. At revalidation colour vision should be tested on clinical indication.

2. The Ishihara test (24 plate version) is considered passed if the first 15 plates, presented in a random order, are identified without error.

3. Those failing the Ishihara test should be examined either by:

(i) Anomaloscopy (Nagel or equivalent). This test is considered passed if the clour match is trichromatic and the matching range is 4 scale units or less, or by

(ii) Lantern testing. This test is considered passed if the applicant passes without error a test with accepted lanterns.

Chapter B - AMC for Class 2 medical certificates

AMC B to MED B.070

COLOUR VISION class 2 medical certificates

1. At revalidation colour vision should be tested on clinical indication.

2. The Ishihara test (24 plate version) is considered passed if the first 15 plates, presented in a random order, are identified without error.