PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Four Donk Plane with two out
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2008, 04:44
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Indeed! It's Threat and Error Managemen (TEM) which is replacing CRM as the latest flight safety trend. Not that 411A will be following that philosophy. He hasn't got to CRM yet!

The continued use of reverse idle is flight safety factor for the reasons stated, and when I flew the 744, it was so rare to use it I could easily imagine not considering it even when needed. Now, the company I fly the A320 for require us to select full reverse on landing even if idle has been briefed. If idle is to be used, the thrust levers will be immediately advanced to the reverse idle stop before they have spooled up. This doesn't harm engines controlled by FADEC and ensures that the reverse idle setting is selected - it's sometimes a problem finding the reverse idle stop on the A320 as there aren't separate reverse levers. The thrust levers are moved into the reverse section past idle after latches have been lifted. This technique also has the added benefit of making the crew 'full reverse minded'.

On Qantas 01, the crew believed the runway was merely wet when in fact it was contaminated (despite clues to the contrary) which led them to believe reverse idle was satisfactory. And the PF didn't select any revers thrust - let alone full reverse thrust.