PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Record Oil Prices and Jobs
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2008, 15:27
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anyone heard of peak oil before?
M082 Peak Oil doomsayer predictions first surfaced in the late 1800s, literally. Before cars existed and the only oil product in use was kerosene used for lighting...the rest of the bi products of 'oil' were viewed as messy waste.

It has as much factual basis as Catastrophic Global Warming...i.e. NONE.

If you read any credible oil analysis they suggest we might start running short of light sweet crude in about 90 years...after that we have a couple of thousand years worth of heavy oils, tar sands and oil shale...ignoring natural gas and liquified coal.

Even now technology is blurring the distinction between light sweet crude and heavy/oil shale etc to the point that even the most expensive tar sands and oil shale can be profitably extracted at circa US$30.bbl.

From memory Australia has the 3rd largest deposits of oil shale...trillions of barrels of oil equivalent....if we don't let the morons sell it off to the chinese along with our natural gas.

Think about the technology improvements since 1900 and ponder what technology will be doing in 2100, 2200 or 2300BC...still hundreds of years before oil supply even starts to become a real issue.

What will technology bring in the next 100 years?

I have absolutely no fecking idea...but I bet my great, great, great grandchildren won't be driving cars powered by fossil fuels.