PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: QANTAS/ALAEA EBA
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2008, 14:15
Konehead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually I've seen plenty of claims. I just refuse to recognise that they are credible.
1. 1999 - 2008: total pay-rises for LAMEs = 17% over 10 years, or 1.7% per annum. Community standard? 37% CPI? 34% GD? 251% in 5 years, or 50% per annum.
2. A 25% drop in LAME numbers vs. a 25% increase in fleet size in the last few years. And until recently, the vast majority of aircraft were getting out on time. That equates to a massive increase in efficiency per LAME by anyone's reckoning, despite an ageing fleet requiring relatively more maintenance.
3. We were promised to be "looked after when times are good" in return for a 30 month pay freeze. Three years of record profits under their belts, and we've been "negotiating" with them for nearly 2 of those three years to get what we were promised.
4. A top tier AME is paid more than a first-licence LAME. "Here's a licence son, take on all the responsibilities of a signatory, supervise those AMEs - oh and now give me back $X bucks a week!" HELLO!
5. A QF LAME has to work for over 30 years to receive what a 1st year LAME receives at VB or J*.
Shall I carry on? Perhaps others can add more reasons.
Some of you may ask why I bother replying to PAF? I'd like his support but I know I wont get it. To date he's ignored all the above points previously stated in this thread and others. I also feel personally insulted that you think our pay claims are not credible. And NO-ONE is on a go-slow. I STILL have MY arse hanging out every goddamned day, and so do the vast majority of my colleagues.
PAF, granted, 4 hour stoppages hurt innocent people. I agree with you. Can we now move on? When you've worked beside me for 16 years of nightshift in all climatic conditions, shortened your lifespan as a result, sacrificed your health and family life and social scene, put up with restrictive and downright stupid procedures & policies written by managers who seem determined to price us out of the MRO market, tried to fix an aircraft without IT or logistical support and been insulted and abused by your management telling you you will get a pay-cut in real terms for what you've achieved over the last few years DESPITE THEIR best efforts, you have a right to criticise our pay claim and the tactics of last resort with which to achieve themn.