PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Very Low Fuel Landing
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2008, 16:41
rubik101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Despeque, you should read the posts more carefully. I have yet to see anyone advocating taking 'less fuel than the PLOGl' as you suggest they have.
Nor do you seem to have taken on board the many pilots who mention 'tankering'. carrying cheaper fuel to expensive airports.
If you take what you want to take, everywhere, why does your company employ a Flight Ops Planning Dept?
Why have PLOGs at all? Simply fill it up and keep it topped up after every flight.
A question to all of you who carry a bit extra fro Mum, comfort factor, safety, whatever:
You arrive at your destination with an extra 1000kg, only to be told that you need to hold due to a blocked runway and that it should be clear in 20 minutes. No problem, you smug buggers think, I bought extra just for such an occurence as this! Aren't I the clever one?
20 minutes later, they tell you it will be another 20 minutes and now your extra 1000kg is gone. You are however, number 1 in the hold.
How long do you stay at your destination before you decide to divert due to fuel shortage?
If you divert early, before CMR is reached, you will certainly lose the chance to land at your desired airport. If you wait until CMR, or even, God forbid, a little less than CMR, is reached your comfort factor is gone and it's sweaty palm time.
The point being, if you want to fly around with a comfort factor, a bit for Mum, then you will never use it because your mind set will tell you to leave the hold with CMR plus a bit for Mum.
What is the difference between me landing at my destination or diversion field than you landing at the same place but with 1000kg more fuel?
Absolutely nothing except you waste a lot of money and a considerable amount of fuel simply carting it around every year.
BTW, done another 8 sectors since the last post and still haven't had to divert due to fuel shortage!