PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Menaces of the "Guard Police" 31.5.08
Old 7th Jun 2008, 15:36
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps you should have read DX's opening post properly. The weather that she encountered was NOT forecast!! What an irresponsible and ill-considered comment. Now go and crawl back into your hole, and stay there.

I would implore pilots to ignore what DFC said, and if you do find yourself in a similar situation, call D&D. Or any other ATCU (preferably with radar). We're here to help. It's what we do.
I never said that it was wrong to call D+D when lost and in marginal VMC on a VFR flight. That was a good idea.

However, even if the weather encountered was not forecast and the pilot had agreed with the met office information provided - they had come from an area with better wether and among others, the airfield they had departed from was still available in the good weather behind them.

There were 20+ aerodromes in the area traversed that the flight could have landed at safely.

However, the flight was continued in marginal conditions all the way to destination and required the emergency service to provide vectors all the way there.

I will say it again - it is not the initial call for help and using 121.5 to sort out the aircraft position that I have a problem with - it is the subsequent use of 121.5 for something that it is not designed for - non-emergency traffic vectoring to destination.

Never mind the guard police - picture another pilot unsure of position near Heathrow zone. They tune 121.50 and hear regular transmissions to a flight being vectored etc etc.

Do you not think that they will assume - emergency in progress don't make a call?

Regards,

DFC