PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Menaces of the "Guard Police" 31.5.08
Old 6th Jun 2008, 21:52
moggiee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gone till november
DX

I thought your post was fantastic up until your seemingly anti jet pilot rant.
I see no such rant in the original post.

You sit happily in your nice, comfy, super-equipped aircraft flying along in the beautiful blue sky above the clouds with not a care in the world except perhaps what you are going to have for your next meal, or what is in the day’s newspapers.
This makes a valid point about the detachment that we can experience when 6 miles above the ground - in an aeroplane which is equipped with the latest nav kit, a nice autopilot and a Radar Control Service. As a jet pilot myself, I know that I would much rather be up there with a minimal workload than grubbing around VFR in the murk in an under-equipped C152!

What I do see is a (legitimate) complaint aimed at people acting in an unprofessional way by giving someone a hard time for using guard for precisely the sort of reason for which it is intended. That lack of "professionalism" is not aimed at jet pilots but at people who act in an unprofessional manner, whether they be PPL, CPL or ATPL holders.

Guard is not just for the declaration and management of emergencies, but also for the provision of aid with the aim of preventing a "problem" becoming and "emergency". The sanctimonious, self appointed Guard Police would do well to bear that in mind.