PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Very Low Fuel Landing
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2008, 17:30
rubik101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stan, who said anything about 'better' in the old days? You seem not to have read the post properly and have completely missed the point. I was trying to point out how very 'Wells Fargo' such an approach to aviation used to be.
We have all the benefits of modern technology, accurately computed flight plans, weather data, forecasts etc. yet still you and others on this thread seem to think that you can second guess all of this expensive information and still feel the need to bung on a few hundred or even a ton or two extra just because you feel like it.
I fail to see just how you and others like you can consider it professional to gaily pluck imaginary numbers out of thin air and argue that you are being 'safe', or 'safer' than me, you are not; you are being wasteful and you know it.
You choose to try to justify your ostrich like stance with woolly and spurious arguments about gear problems or holding for 30 minutes. All that and more is already loaded into your aircraft if you take the calculated PLOG fuel.
I agree that if you fly into LHR at 0700 Local each day then you will know historically that holding is the norm but if you are working for a real airline, they will already have calculated and allowed for such a situation.
I have been flying for over 30 years on short haul around Europe in all weathers and very rarely take more than 300 kg extra, and then only if the destination is at or close to minimums. Otherwise I take PLOG fuel rounded up to the next hundred. This on over 9000 flights.
How often have I diverted due to fuel shortage?
Never.
How often have I landed at my destination with less than 2000kg in my B737?
Twice, and then not less than 1800kg.
Unsafe? You tell me.