PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Very Low Fuel Landing
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2008, 14:44
rubik101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the very early days of flying, when winds en-route and weather at destinations were unknown, or at best, a guess, pilots would routinely calculate the fuel needed for the journey, then add a bit extra. No science involved, simply instinct and experience. 20 Gallons in case the wind is bad, 20 gallons in case the weather is bad and 20 gallons for Mum.
Now I feel better and off I go!
Here we are in the 21st century and some of you seem to apply the mind set of the pilots referred to above. Very professional and modern, I am sure!
So all the progress made in the last 100 years in flight planning, weather forecasting, route planning, STARS, approach plates, performance monitoring and historical evidence count for nothing with you people.
Ballcocks to all that information and technology, I'm still taking some for my Mum!
If your company did introduce a reward system for fuel efficiency, you would soon be walking the walk instead of talking the talk.
Correct fuel loads are simply that, correct. They are safe and efficient, which is all that is required.
You cannot be more safe than safe.