PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fronts & sig Wx charts
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2008, 12:50
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fronts & sig Wx charts

Folks, I know this topic was aired some months ago. My search technique has failed to uncover it. I can not remember how it conlcuded.
What I am interested in is who decided to remove fronts from sig Wx. charts; who authorised it as it seems to be all providers in EU; why was it thought a good idea in the first place; were the customers i.e. us the airlines consulted; and what is the overall opinion about it now after 1 year of such dilution of planning data; has anyone discussed with their C.P. and flight saftey officer and what are their opinions? What are the unions' stance?

Reason for raising this: recently, in the wide spread thunderstorm activiity in central EU, my TAF's for return sector were showing SCT -TSRA 3000'. 10k's and no W/V greater than 10kts. No real big deal as it had been CAVOK 2 hours previous. However, on arrival all hell had broken loose. Massive squall lines, torrential rain and cloud base down to 1000'. Divertion required. Was it a front, as it continued all night? No idea as the data was not there.

What would have been useful to know at the fuel planning stage:

If it was only some unstable air excited by big cities etc. then SCT sounds reasonable as our airfield is well away from any big cities. If it was boosted by frontal activity approaching then it's a whole new planning scenario.

Frontal data is also relevant when planning dscents; turbulence and airframe icing etc. This is no longer possible. We only have a guess on the Plog about shear levels and some cotton wool balls on the sig Wx. chart. What info do intercontinental crews get? Is this dumming down only an EU thing?

Please keep replies to the topic of missing frontal data and not creep off into fuel planning etc. unless you say that due to lack of data you load up tonnes of extra.