PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet Announces Gatwick Expansion
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2001, 17:15
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very interesting to hear of LGP/AGP for easyJet. They will compete directly with BA in theory but in reality the route is run by GB on their behalf. Unlike BA, GB is a very lean, mean organisation and have costs lower than easyJet. I am not convinced that easyJet will beat GB off the route.

I should declare my hand here. I have recently joined GB and my other job offer was from easyJet. I therefore can comment on the recruitment and selection process for easyJet without any ill-feeling because of rejection. I really liked the company but the recruitment side of easyJet was very poor. I had to wait months (literally) to get a date for the recruitment day. I e-mailed them on several occasions to try and get an idea of what was happening. Eventually I was invited to the assessment day and they promised to be back in touch within a week with the result. After 3 weeks I phoned them and they were a bit embarrassed but said I had been successful and should have been e-mailed to be invited for the sim ride. I then went to the sim ride 2 weeks later and was told I would be contacted within 'a few days'. Another 3 weeks went by and eventually I phoned them and was told again that I should have been e-mailed but that I had been accepted. In parallel with this I had my application to GB going through. GB made telephone contact early on and kept in touch throughout. They gave me a date fairly quickly for the interview. On my way home from the interview they telephoned me on my mobile and offered me a sim ride for 2 days later. I did the sim on the Friday and was phoned the following Monday that I had been successful. As a postscript, 2 months after I had written to easyJet to decline their kind offer, I got a phone call to ask for my contract of employment to be returned before my start date!

From my point of view, the selection process at easyJet was not very good, particulary in contrast to the efficiency of GB. I would not presume to assess the company on my own very limited experience, but inevitably such experiences leave a less than favourable impression. I would qualify this view and say that I have several friends working for easyJet who did not have the same problems. Had easyJet come through in a reasonable timescale I would have accepted. In the end GB turned up at the same time because of the delay in the processing at easyJet, and after some thought I chose GB. For what it is worth I have been absolutely delighted with GB as a company, but I know many friends who speak equally highly of easyJet as employers.

My honest hope is that easyJet and GB do not go head to head on current GB routes because both carriers have much to lose. This would be a fight between to very efficient carriers that would not be in either's interests.