PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 5
Thread: MANCHESTER - 5
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 00:25
FlyZB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe that one of the biggest problems is that the airport authority don't get involved in areas that aren't run by themselves. Security is an MAG issue but the majority of other complaints mentioned above are not. Immigration is manned by their own staff. Poor staffing levels resulting in only half the desks being opened is not an MAG issue. Cleaning is managed by Initial. Unclean toilets and dirty terminal building are their responsibility. Check-in and gate staff are managed by handling agents. Not having anyone to meet an aircraft on time is the responsibility of the individual handling agent. Long waits for baggage are also down to the handling agents and airlines. So ultimately, all these individual organisations have the responsibility to provide a high level of service. The problem being that 99% of people travelling through the airport don't understand this so of course passengers are automatically going to put blame on the airport itself. MAG needs to monitor service levels of the individual providers and if they're falling short of providing the high levels required, then there should be procedures to deal with this. That is not happening at the moment because the airport see it as 'unethical' to tread on the toes of the service providers and tell them how to do their job. The only acception being if the level of service is consistantly poor and even then, MAG are not in a position to take over and make improvements themselves.

Sounds like T2 is a bit of a nightmare at the minute and the building work (which should have been complete mid May) clearly isn't helping. I've moved over to T1 now and I have to say that it's a lot better. Maximum queue time for security in May was 12 minutes and the average queue time for immigration was 9 minutes. Not bad going really. Yes, the whole design of the airside facility is not ideal right now. But give it chance. There is still major construction work going on across all 3 terminals and this will continue until next March. How about people have some patience and judge it when everything has been completed, not before.