PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polar/Atlas The Saga Continues
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2008, 19:54
Intruder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as we are discussing lists, lets visit the things the NMB apparently considers as indications of a merged carrier (carrier means AIRLINE Billybob)

(1) published combined schedules or combined routes; - Yup got 'em
(2) standardized uniforms; - getting those
(3) common marketing, markings or insignia; - yup got that (btw. anyone seen the insignia with the Atlas guy holding up the circle "P")
(4) integrated essential operations such as scheduling or dispatching; - really got that
(5) centralized labor and personnel operations; - yup got that too!
(6) combined or common management, corporate officers, and board of directors; - I'm curious, does Polar have their own board of directors - NOPE!
(7) combined workforce; and, - got this one too!
(8) common or overlapping ownership. - and this one!

Sounds like a merged single carrier to me.
Not to me... Note first your own definition of "carrier" -- it does NOT mean the holding company!

Virtually every one of those factors is open to interpretation. I suspect a pair of lawyers could make a long and convoluted argument on each side of the issue in front of the NMB or an arbitrator:

(1) Don't see them "published" on the public web site. Only Polar schedules are shown at all!

(2) Don't have 'em yet.

(3) Not quite... Depending on the context, Polar and/or Atlas logo may be found in marketing materials. Note that they have separate web sites within the AAWW site, and the marketing is directed to significantly different customer bases. Once off the AAWW page or the Atlas or Polar main page, the distinct airline-specific logos predominate.

(4) They may be in the same room, but there are distinct, separate groups of people who handle each airline.

(5) They may have that to a larger degree, but they still advertise separate Atlas and Polar job opportunities.

(6) Only AAWH had a board of directors -- neither Atlas nor Polar has one! Other than a common VP of Flight Ops, there are VERY distinct upper-level officers at Polar and Atlas. The 2 DHL guys at the top of Polar have NO Atlas duties, AFAIK.

(7) Again, it depends where you look... Some of the work force (e.g., HR) serves all of AAWH. OTOH, with the EXCEPTION of a few upper-level managers, there are distinct, separate work forces in most of the flight ops departments: Crews, Scheduling, Dispatchers, Training...

(8) This is one place where they have actually DIVERGED in recent history! Both Atlas and Polar used to be wholly owned by AAWH. Now Atlas is owned by AAWH; but Polar is owned by PAWH, which is owned by DHL and AAWH, and directed on a day-to-day basis by 2 DHL transplants. It is clear that in the future DHL will, for all practical purposes (despite the legal fiction of 49% ownership and 25% control), control Polar's schedule, but Atlas and their various ACMI customers will control Atlas' schedule. I think this is one place where a convincing argument can be made that they are NOT "common" any more...