PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stuck in Singapore
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2008, 13:05
pacplyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Additionally,

Have a fall back career because with oil prices, tourism could dry up pretty bad for a while. Many airlines in the U.S. are starting to furlough but as soon as oil men are out of the white house this might ease somewhat. (might: who knows ) Even if you aren't likely to get a job there, the fact that they aren't looking for work over here in asia equals a good thing.

A worldwide pilot shortage is still possible after you finish school. AW&ST projections seem to indicate this (especially considering increased future air cargo needs.) At that time, it's my opinion that you are wasting your time if you are not trying with at least twenty airlines. You never know which one had a staff crisis and has parked 747's due to crew unavailability. This is what happened to me due to a B-scale MOU disagreement and I was put in the first class ahead of 5000 other applicants on file. Translation: Blind Luck can beat qualifications if your timing is right; so be shooting off resumes to 20 companies after you get out of school and get a little experience

So don't try to pick an airline now. Keep your options open. Don't be picky. Like the other poster said, nobody really cares that much about your schoolboy brownie buttons or your bug-smashing time in singles either. You need to apply to everybody and be thankful that anybody will hire you to fly anything at all. Push hard though to become co-pilot on some kind of twin, where your first name will be "Coffee!" and your second name will be "Logbook!" Then it's gear up and shut up, empty the biffy and put oil in the engines.

Ahhhhh, the glamourous life of the aspiring airline pilot.......

Glad I'm retired.