PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strike at SUNAIR
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2008, 09:27
CaptainProp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A strike has no winners, only loosers.
According to a former Sun air crewmember, the salary is not that great, but domestic conditions are fine:
Off nearly every Saturday, Low numbers of operations during summer and holidays etc.
That is worth fighting for!

But, there is always a but.
As aviation industry faces a downturn, is then a strike very smart if you want to keep on piloting those "silver birds" ?
.....and it is because of people "like you" that our industry is transforming into an industry where pilots are increasingly looking like slaves. Pay for your education. Want to be competitive? Pay for type-rating. Want a job? Pay for line-training, but there are no guarantees for a job, but don't worry, you'll be alright.

It's about time, if not already too late, we stand up and protect our T&Cs! I'm not saying that we should demand unreasonable pay or perks, but we need to make sure that we get decent pay deals and constantly work to improve our general perks.

Management will always fight this, and that is their job. Increase profits. Thats their goal at the end of the day. They will do everything they can to achieve this. It is our, our unions, job to balance this force. We have seen T&Cs slowly eroding across Europe over the past 10 years. We need to stop this now. A strike is never good, but after failing to protect our T&Cs in negotiations, then thats our last and final tool to protect our profession.

I hope that everybody will back (did back up?) up their union here and I wish you good luck!

/CP