PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas S/O to F/O in 18 months
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2008, 08:23
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

derek, if only it were that simple. I've never done allocations in an airline but I've done rosters before and they're a dog no matter what way you cut it. Those who think it's a press of a button obviously don't understand that our ground staff work in the same dysfunctional environment and IT support systems as the rest of us bitch about on Qrewroom all the time. You're either too silly or too ignorant to realise this. That means the allocations crew 'wear' it. They also put up with crap from pilots phoning them asking 'what should I do, woe is me'. If they put up with anything like the crap that I've heard one of our F/Os try on a colleague (and friend) in QCC2 about a sim scheduling matter then they deserve my respect for that too.

As for hanging around QCC3, I've been on the non Ops side twice in the last seven months. Once to see Sean Golding about four weeks ago and three days ago to see pilot recruitment about some resources to do a QF pitch for AAFC cadets. I do try and drop in on a friend occasionally on the other side of QCC but I'd hardly call that 'hanging around'. I find it a source of irony that many line crew think I'm a company man because of my CRM stuff and most company men think I'm a rat bag because I'm bagging them and giving them a hard time when it's warranted. Personally I avoid QCC3 like the plague...particularly for the next few months.

By all means take a shot at me if you like- my history on PPRUNE of giving it to QF when it's needed is well known and I'm happy that speaks for itself- but I am in favour of giving credit where it's due. It's due for the work our allocations guys and gals have done over the last few months.

Finally, if you're actually going to have a shot using my name then my preference is to always have those conversations face to face- or at least over the phone- so we know who we're dealing with. Scheduling have my mobile number if you'd like to call.