PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Costs & Expected Duration
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2008, 07:48
madgav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn't really matter how long you take, as long as you're a confident and compitant pilot at the end of it
Exactly I'm honestly not too concerned how many hours it takes, just find it a bit frustrating on those occasions when I don't feel I'm progressing as quickly as I would like..... and of course () every hour adds £145 to the total cost, not insignificant since I'm trying to fly once a week while still a stude......

Crosswind landings...remember to roll the aircraft into the wind and kick in the opposite rudder (also keep a keen eye on speed!)
Yep, that's what I have been doing Unfortunately I got it into my head quite early on that establishing the wing-down approach early on final was a good idea (after it worked really well on one occasion following several lessons with little progress). I've since found that it's hit or miss whether that really works, depending on the conditions on the day - doesn't work well if it's gusty for instance, and even if it's not there will always be some further control inputs required as the wind changes near the ground. And of course flying wing-down for most of final is less comfortable for both myself and any passengers. More recently I've been crabbing on final and only changing to wing-down when 100-200ft agl, things have improved but it's not there yet.

Another top tip and handy hint is when the weather prevents you from flying, then revise and take the ground exams, otherwise it's a waste of a day. Best aid in revision is the PPL Confuser!
Gotta say that is also something that is progressing fairly slowly due to other committments (and work of course, which is sadly necessary to fund all of this). I haven't had any particular problem with the exams so far, got 3 of them done and currently studying nav, but it's taking time....... only got 11 months now to get the other 4 done......