PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester Lockdown?
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2008, 17:35
9th Dan Vectors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. I don't know if this is true or not. I would hope it isn't, but the obvious necessity to have a reasonable compliment of staff at nPC is glaring at the moment. We've been told MACC moving in 2010 is inevitable whatever the number.

-It's about a £9.5k/yr pay difference (The way it has been justified for Area units upsets us, not the right of Band 5 guys to be paid that much, although they were the majority). I don't know how the differences for airfields are justified (fairly or not) but the gap below us shouldn't be that much either.
-AAVA 10% difference (again how do you justify it?), although at £500 they can be hard for some to turn down on principle.
-No gym/sports hall at NPC either. Mr Barron told us after 9/11 it was a cost saving necessary to help get the new building back on track; although it seems allowances were made for the CTC.
-Parking, correct, resolved at nPC; still a pain now though.
-Staffing, yes everyone is short. In percentage terms for ACCs (due to our size) we are shortest but many of our staff hold validations on the opposite bank to their main one, hence we usually cope. Again I'm just stating facts here and I know ATCOs at the other Centres hold more than the minimum requirement. It would be intersting for a transparent comparison of average time plugged in and out per shift.
-Leave, probably all in the same boat across NERL here.
-Equipment, not resolved at nPC for several years after O date. Possibly no benefits at all, moving traffic wise. I don't know much about iFACTS but MODE S (which we now have) is a welcome improvement.
-Prospects, hoping to make lots of new friends with the ScOACC guys. I know I'll lose (on a day to day basis) many good friends who won't be going (not to mention the EGCC guys).

Whinge or not, we have a genuine gripe with pay that is often belittled on this forum. It can't be justified but it seems those above us think we shouldn't get it and those at airports below us resent us mentioning it, somewhat understandably. Yes we got a pay rise. It is the principle and the stigma of the difference that is galling.

A forced move from Swanwick to Prestwick (via Manchester) would upset many people down South. It is not or should not be an impossibility. You already know you're a mobile grade. I'm sure for the unlucky ones they'll quickly understand our point of view.

It would be a disgrace though when you've already moved from London to Southampton.