PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those considering Emirates
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2008, 03:33
rj274

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really looking forward to the day that everyone who posts on here suddenly understands that each of us has an opinion, and it is purely subjective and based on our own unique set of circumstances which no-one else can appreciate because they are living a different life.

As for me, I left a U.S. regional for a U.S. ACMI. I am considering EK because after only four months with this cargo company I have forgotten how nice it is to have something as simple and basic as a confirmed hotel room waiting for you at the end of your day/night, or loading equipment that is functional and does not require nine hours sitting on the airplane waiting for the freight to come on/off. Also, while the 74 classic is most assuredly a step, or three, up from an RJ, it is an obsolete type-rating for which demand is mostly dried up. So, I am now in the position of having extensive glass time, and a short amount of heavy int'l time, but not heavy glass int'l time.

As I am still single moving to the sandpit is a decision that affects me alone. While I would like my personal situation to be different, it does have certain advantages. And while the pay may not be enough for some people, I have my financial situation mostly under control so this would be a way to stockpile cash as quickly as possible.

I appreciate AC reminding us all of the importance of looking before you leap and take all his comments seriously while setting aside those that do not pertain to my personal situation. Having flown around the "back side" of the world in recent months, and just completing a 34 hour duty day totaling 16.5 flight hours, with a double crew, I would be happy to fly 7 hours in the middle of the night on an airplane that will actually level off without me having to tell it to do so.

As I said, our subjective opinions are based on our unique circumstances. I've developed a certain philosophy while working for a company with little to no infrastructure and gaining some much sought after international experience, and keeping an open mind as best as can be expected:

no expectations, no disappointments.

It is sad that the industry has deteriorated to the extent that it has, and maybe re-regulation of the US industry will fix it, and maybe it won't. In any case taking the above position has helped with maintaining a certain level of sanity in a mgmt.-favored corporate environment.

Fly safe and walk away at the end of every flight.