PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Costs & Expected Duration
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2008, 08:44
Okavango

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPL Costs & Expected Duration

Ok, thanks for everyones input on PPL questions. I've spoken to a few schools and I've now found one that seems good. Their package is competitive at £5500 all inclusive (exams, course material etc, 45hrs flight), though most importantly they seem a keen competent outfit. I think the landing fees are a rough estimate, it was ~£5000 not including them. However, one of the more expensive schools I spoke to said that I should budget for 60hrs (and this at their rate of £150/hr).

My question is, how many hours does it take Joe Average to pass, and if you have your PPL, how many hours did you take? I consider myself to be above average aptitude and was thinking 50hrs (as I know 45hrs is exceptional). It would be good to know that any school is providing effective training though at the moment it's hard to gauge.

Also, I'd be grateful to know general calendar durations for training. I know it's not unusual for people to take 18months-2yrs, though how quick can it be done (not down the intensive Florida route as I'll be working full time). As my job is relatively flexible, my thinking is I can fit in up to 4 flights a week (during summer hours), of which I'd expect 1/3 - 1/2 to be cancelled, plus one holiday week during a spell of good weather of maybe a flight a day if I'm lucky. Is it possible to gain your PPL in this way in 4-5 months or am I being unrealistic? Thanks again.