PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stuck in Singapore
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2008, 13:23
Sunny_Always

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck in Singapore

Good evening gentlemen, I find myself in a rather big mess now and would like to seek some professional advice.

I last posted augest 06 if I recall correctly, shortly after my 1st solo. I went on to complete my PPL(w/o nav) at SYFC in june 08. I was rather optimistic about joining the RSAF as historical records of SYFC applicants have shown.

Now a year later, I find myself in NS training to be an infantry officer. I got the highest medical class, I scored the highest for the computer test in N years but I failed the interview. 'You seem more interested in flying commercially' Just because I mentioned the 26y/o limit for SQ I spoke to Col. Tan, head air, manpower at the SYFC PPL wings ceremony and got a vague promise of a review.

This is an enormous setback for me. Being one of the 100+ perfect scorers in the 07 A lvls, I would have at least gotten the SMS scholarship, or even SAFOS had I successfully become a pilot trainee. Now assuming I don't make the airforce, I'll have to sort out my degree and flight training options. That is after finishing NS in october 09.

I'll definitely want to get at least a CPL/IR + CFI during college and instruct in my junior and senior years. I'll then try for cadetship and regionals/LCC. I figured that SQ would be harder than Harvard law school. Tiger/AirAsia needs ~1500hrs and 172s or PA28s don't count. Of course I applied for the Etihad thing just so that I can tell myself I tried it all. Hence my first problem.

American degrees are very enticing in their reputation and job opportunities after graduation. But from what I read the FAA licence is near impossible to convert and with the american skies already so saturated, a foreign newbie like me won't stand a chance. With tuition fees running 35-50k/yr I won't be able to afford flight lessons. Williams, Coloumbia and Georgetown which made me offers did not have flight depts anyway. The only way to study there and have a flying career would be the RSAF, which won't seem to happen.

Just recently I also got NUS Law which is a 5yr course leading up to a NUS LLB and NYU JD. I won't be able to find time to go train in Malaysia so I'll probably not take this as well.

Australia seems nice as their licence is easier to convert(though I'm not sure of the details, maybe someone can enlighten me) but their degrees are not as credible, no offence. Even then I'll be stuck along with all the other 250hr fATPLs.

UK has both, Oxbridge degrees and CAA licences, but for the cost of getting them both, I might as well set up my own LCC.

Now is it true that RSAF rejects can apply to SQ at 24.5? What other avenues are there which I can be reasonably confident of?

Good evening.