PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: QANTASLINK Crewing Crisis!
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2008, 05:16
KRUSTY 34

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Heard this one "on the vine".

It has now come to pass that QFlink have all but exhausted their upgradeable F/O's for command. No real surprises there, and very shortly REX will follow. The problems with the 457 visa's are varied, and far from being a smooth excercise in itself, several factors will probably frustrate the process. With the expansion of the major airlines still in full swing, and set to be so for some time, competition for pilots who qualify for DEC will be strong, and QFlink are not at the top of the food chain.

My sources have told me that QFlink management would rather attract local pilots and in the process save a whole sh!tload of time and money. So where to get them?

Some of you may or may not be aware of the wage disparity between QFlink pilots and REX pilots. A 10 year REX Captain's base salary is almost the same as a year 1 QFlink Captain. Any REX Captain jumping ship to QFlink will at the very least maintain parody, and any Junior Captain will see a significant payrise to start! In 18 months time QFlink has offered to pay their serving Captains a bonus of $45K if they hang around. REX has offered nothing. It appears that QFlink management have also seen the folly of the past, and are now incorporating the Q400 into the Eastern and possibly Southern fleets. Sources say that over 30 aircraft are on the way!

REX would have you believe that it's attrition of pilots is driven purely by the desire to go fly a jet. We all know that's only part of the story. I have spoken to many serving and senior REX captains, and virtually all of them have indicated they would move to QFlink if given the opportunity! Such is the sense of hopelessness that now prevails.

This is becoming a battle for survival. Who survives to become the largest regional operator in the country, and who is forced by CASA to close the doors when the last of their Check and Trainers depart, will probably unfold in the year to come!