PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cheap FI course
Thread: Cheap FI course
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2008, 13:07
VFE
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow... it's all a game to me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woah chaps! At least he's honest - many here aren't. Just because he doesn't fill his post with flowery waffle about a passion to instruct etc doesn't mean he can't and won't make a good instructor. All power to him I say - the above postings shout sour grapes to me but prove a valuable warning as to the attitudes of some people parading their hollier than thou attitudes in flight training.

The 'industry' pays peanuts, the safety standards and chances of getting cleaned up in a bang are higher than most jobs yet we are supposed to pretend that we're some keen spirited enthusiastic examples of humanity only in it for the benefit of those we teach? Sod off!

Back to the post in question - I would be very cautious of doing an FI course abroad as many FTO's here won't look at you. If you were already an airline pilot with a few thousand hours then this would not matter so much. Your licence alone is not going to open doors in the instructing world. I flew with a newly minted CPL/IR fATPL holder who so far has come closest to ending my day. You are still extremely inexperienced at flying light aircraft and your training has all been geared for flying the bigger stuff so think hard about your plan.

As for price - it's the same for any commodity or service - you get what you paid for. Personally, I decided to pay an above average fee for my FIC with a very respected instructor who had a history of training some of the best FI's in the country, both civilian and military. I wanted to be confident of being as good an instructor as I could be.

As one of the above posters has already said, you'd be better off just flying for fun on your PPL instead of looking at instructing simply as a way of keeping your hand in.

VFE.