PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are the job prospects for new CPLs? (MERGED)
Old 26th May 2008, 08:05
helimutt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's no harm in chasing a dream. I did it. Just be careful that those around you aren't badly affected by your singleminded determination to succeed. If you don't try it, you'll never know. I was prepared to take the risk if it all went pear shaped.
All you're doing is spending someone's money which you can't take with you when you die. You'll pay a lot more in taxes over a lifetime.

There will nearly always be a need for offshore pilots, for the near foreseeable future anyway. Think about what uses helicoters are put to. Will these be necessary/affordable in major recession? There'll always be those not affected by money issues who can afford to fly corporate but as it's generally a luxury it'll no doubt tail off a bit this year. The onshore boys will probably agree with that right now.
Cash strapped air ambulance/police forces might not be able to afford to run the heli's.
Instructors wil get less work as fewer people have any money to learn. The housing industry boom provided lots of people with surplus cash for ppl's/ self ownership etc. That must definitely be dryng up right now. Ask an instructor if things are quieter than this time last year.

Weigh up the pro's and con's. If you're 40yrs old, married with kids and a mortgage and looking for a career change, i'd advise strongly against it. If you're 20+, got the money to do it, no ties, then hey, why the hell not. Go have some fun trying.