PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet* Importing Pilots
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2008, 23:44
Gingerbread

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See post below by AIPA's President - transferred without comment from the Qantas Pilots' chat site:-

Ian Woods

While I am concerned to read that Qantas Jetstar is intending to bring in direct entry A330/320 Captains, it is also disapointing to note that industrially it would not be possible if Jetstar EBA 4 didn't facilitate it.

Nonetheless, before any bites down too hard and breaks a tooth, I need to point out that it is not yet a fait accompli?

Unless the pilots concerned are in fact Australians returning home from far flung parts of the globe to take advantage of the 17% pay rise imbedded in Jetstar EBA 4, the quote: "has secured the support of Immigration Minister Chris Evans and Employment Minister Julia Gillard," may not mean the Government has issued and/or approved the issuing of the necessary employment visas.

While I have no doubt that the Ministers support Qantas Jetstar's application for 457 Visas; as I understand the approval process, Qantas Jetstar Management are required to consult and agree with AIPA and AFAP as part of the approval process.

As for the quote: "the first visas was processed last week" - it probably was. Without any consulation whatsoever, the outgoing Coalition Government gave approval on the quiet for a small number of Visas sometime before the 2007 Federal Election.

Don't jump yet, visit: www.aph.gov.au and send an email to your Local Federal Member, cc, Ministers Gillard and Evans leting them know that Qantas Jetstar does not have a shortage of pilots - just a maldistribution created by Management's desire to silo Qantas, Jetstar and Qantaslink pilots.