PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway closed at LHR???
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2008, 16:39
Gonzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now most BA flights are on the west of the field?
Presently, only BA shorthaul and a few long haul flights are from T5. The 757s still fly from T1, and the rest of longhaul is still in T4. Early June will see another 20 longhaul flights a day move from T4 to T5. The rest will move between September and next February.

I see your point as how much money does it cost if 2-3 flights have to go around?
No idea. We wouldn't take that into account anyway. We look at things from a viewpoint of safety, it's not a good situation to be in when you've got one just carrying out a missed approach and one taking off just underneath. It can be sorted, of course, but things are more straightforward when things land.
Had a go at Heathrow Director yet?
Heathrow Director is 70 miles from Heathrow, at Swanwick. We use different ratings on our licences. Although I do have the rating, I would have to return to the ATC college to do a refresher as it's been so long.

Also just a question. Heathrow is Open from 11:30 to 07:30 for Emergencies Only rite?
No, Heathrow is open 24hrs. Between the hours of 2330 and 0600 local time, there is a night noise period. Each airline is allocated a number of points per month depending on how many slots they have at Heathrow. If they want to arrive or depart Heathrow in the night noise period, they 'spend' some points, the 'cost' varies depending on the noise category of the aircraft, and the time of night.

So basically the night shift Controllers just have a cup of tea and come on the net and await for the call to get on?
Not really. We can be kept busy with a/c towing between terminals and hangars for maintenance, liaising with the airport authority, other ATC units and testing our equipment. During day, we have 5 or 6 ATCOs and a supervisor working in position. At night there is only one ATCO working, so it can be quite a high workload.

Also i watched the Heathrow Noise Tracker and in the morning at about 4 too 6ish they were using 27* then switched to the other one when departures started coming out. Is this due to overdue maintanence on that runway or standard Procedure?
During the night noise period I mentioned above, Heathrow has a 'night runway' for movements, which changes daily, and independently of the daily alternation, so we might well change landing runway at 0600. All down to noise restrictions.