PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Need some advice
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2008, 07:36
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angels - I take it from your post that you are not from the multi-crew/airline world - and I give you the benefit of the doubt on your actual identity.

[Did I mention, by the way everybody, that I was 'approved' as single crew on a corporate aircraft and in fact flew single crew for 17 years before that? Just to get my 'credibility' established here on multi-crew ops..................]

Joking aside, Rananim's post at #21 says it all. There is no 'difficulty' in landing a big jet from an unstable approach on a reasonably long runway. It is just NOT RIGHT. That is where this guy (as reported) got it badly wrong. I regularly used to 'horse' swept wing fighters onto the 'numbers' from tight curved approaches from a run and break (pitch for our fellows) at Vref with the throttles closed - and aced it every time. (Did I mention that?). I'd quite rightly be sacked if I did it now.

PLEASE re-read Rananim's para 3. PLEASE also review airline SOPs on monitoring and stable approaches and the 'terms of reference' laid down by most operators for their crews and in particular their captains.

I know 20,000 hour aces can probably 'do it'. The second crew member is also there for that occasion when the ace's abilities do not exceed the task. The ones who blatantly and automatically disregard the 600 hour pilot's 'anxiety' because they know better are the potential killers.