PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Raw Data ILS 737NG
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2008, 07:32
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raw Data ILS 737NG

Hello All

I flew my first raw data ILS's in the 737 sim as part of my TR yesterday and was wondering if anyone out there would like to share some advice on technique. My instructor said I was making good progress and I was happy with the way he had taught us to fly the aircraft during raw data procedures. I got the pitch/power settings into my head i.e. Flap 5 level flight around 63% N1 and +7 nose up, then Flap 30 Gear down around 55-56% N1 and +2-3 nose up. I realise these are pretty ball park, but they worked well on the day.

I would definetly admit that I need to fine tune my scan, however I know this will come. Getting used to the Lateral Deviation Indicator to fly the LLZ was also interesting! My instructor wanted me to fly the G/S all the way down until the Rad Alt sounded 50 RA. I must admit, I probably wasn't anticipating this quickly enough and as a result I would loose track towards the end. I also found that making the transition from instruments to visual reference that close to the ground made my landings feel a little rushed. I felt I was flaring too much and as a result induced a tendency to float. This was a bit annoying as I have been happy with my landings so far (although previously I had been given more time to make the adjustment between the inside to the outside world).

I know it is early days in my training, however I would be grateful of any tips or hints from seasoned pro's. Many thanks, CK